Increase Windows 8 Internet Browsing Speed [HD] – Tip 2
- February 7, 2013
- Posted by: Craig Chamberlin
- Category: Uncategorized
When it comes to increasing internet or internet browsing speeds, inaccurate information floats everywhere on the internet. The truth is, there is very little we can do to increase our internet speed outside of improving our overall system performance, using an efficient web browser or simply dropping extra cash on higher bandwidth from our Internet Service Provider.
This video and article will walk you through maximizing your Windows 8 internet browser rendering speeds. Browser rendering speed is quite simply the speed in which your browser takes code and executes it for you to view. Many people are finally catching on to the amount of improvement users can receive by switching to excellent browser alternatives such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari.
It’s important the user realizes this tip will not increase the amount of bandwidth offered to them from their Internet Service Provider. Ultimately only a certain amount of bandwidth is purchased and allocated to each customer. The amount of bandwidth you actually receive will depend on a number of factors. I would strongly recommend you verify you are getting what you are paying for by using a free tool known as Speedtest.
You can verify you are getting the bandwidth and internet speed you are paying for by following the instructions on my article How To Quickly Test Your Internet ISP Download And Upload Speed. You can then cross reference this speed with the amount you are paying for through your ISP. If it’s significantly lower (remember, it fluctuates) then you should contact your ISP to have them resolve possible connectivity issues.
This article illustrates how to increase Windows 8 internet browsing speed using a free Internet Explorer alternative.
This video is part of the Faster 8 video and written tutorial series presented by The PCM Tech Help Show with Craig Chamberlin. Faster 8 is a series dedicated to the complete optimization of the Windows 8 operating system using freeware and open source software tools.
Increase Windows 8 Internet Browsing Speed [HD]:
1. Navigate to the Windows 8 Metro UI and open Internet Explorer.
2. Wait for Internet Explorer to load completely.
4. Navigate to Free Downloads > Browsers & Plugins > Browsers > Google Chrome.
5. Click the link or image to visit the official Google Chrome download page.
6. Choose Download Chrome.
7. Optionally opt in to submit anonymous usage statistics to Google, read the licensing agreement and optionally choose Accept and Install.
8. When prompted by Internet Explorer, choose Run to execute the Google Chrome installer.
9. When prompted by User Account Control, select Yes to give the Google Chrome installer permission to run.
10. Wait for Google Chrome to completely download.
11. Wait for Google Chrome to completely install.
12. Windows 8 will notify you when the application is successfully installed.
13. When prompted with the Welcome to Chrome screen, select the Next button.
14. Select Google Chrome to set it as your default web browser.
15. If you would optionally like your bookmarks, search history and plugins synchronized across all your machines, login using any Google service username and password.
16. A Google Chrome shortcut should be automatically pinned to your Windows 8 Metro UI.
Remember, browser rendering speed is only one aspect of your overall internet experience. One should make sure they’ve completely optimized their operating system as well as verified their current bandwidth from their internet service provider. The amount of performance gain you can get out of a browser is limited to your local computer.