How To Remove Windows XP Antivirus Software – Faster XP 2012 – Ep. 3
- September 10, 2012
- Posted by: Craig Chamberlin
- Category: Uncategorized
Everyone knows Antivirus is an essential part of any operating system. There are, however, many reasons to uninstall a current Antivirus software package. Many times, the definitions and resource usage of popular, yet low performing, Antiviruses actually cause severe slowdown.
Luckily, there are a number of freeware antivirus alternatives available with very good performance and detection ratings. So the ultimate goal of this video is to compare your currently installed antivirus with the free ones available in the market. If you find your antivirus has poor detection ratings or resource usage, replace it with one of the better performers.
As an extra note, it is important to understand that no operating system should ever have more than one antivirus software package installed on it at any given time. The reason behind this is the real time scanning engines built into the antivirus package can conflict with one another and cause severe slowdown, performance decreases or even system instability.
To ensure the best protection and performance, the installed antivirus should always be checked against www.av-comparatives.org. If necessary, the antivirus should be uninstalled and replaced with a free or paid alternative.
About This Episode:
In this video, I cover how to use www.av-comparatives.org to check the detection rates and performance rates on your currently installed antivirus. If necessary, we will uninstall your current antivirus to prepare for a new antivirus installation.
How To Remove Windows XP Antivirus Software:
1. Visit www.av-comparatives.org.
2. Under the ‘Comparatives’ drop down menu, select ‘Performance’.
3. Open the most recently released antivirus ‘Performance Report’.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the ‘Awards’ section.
5. Locate your Antivirus on the list, make sure it has at least a ‘3 Star Rating’.
6. Go back to www.av-comparatives.org.
7. Under the ‘Comparatives’ drop down menu, select ‘Real-World Protection Tests’.
8. Open the most recently released antivirus ‘Protection Test’.
9. Scroll to the bottom of the report to the ‘Awards’ section.
10. Locate your Antivirus on the list, make sure it has at least a ‘2 Star Rating’.
11. If you’re antivirus does not fulfill this criteria, then we will uninstall it. A new free antivirus will be installed in a future video.
12. Select the ‘Start’ menu.
13. Choose ‘Control Panel’.
14. Select ‘Add or Remove Programs’.
15. Select your Antivirus from the ‘Program List’.
16. Choose ‘Remove’.
17. Follow the ‘Prompts’.
18. (optional) Google ‘[your antivirus name] removal tool’ and use it to remove your antivirus.
In today’s world of hacks and viruses, it is never a good idea to go without an antivirus on any Windows computer. In the next video, we will use free virus scanners to remove viruses, then install one of the best performing and protecting free antivirus software packages.
Next Faster XP 2012 Episode:
Next Episode Link Broken?