How To Disable the Windows XP Indexing Service
- August 26, 2009
- Posted by: Craig Chamberlin
- Category: Uncategorized
We are continuing in our short speedup tips by disabling the indexing service running in the background of Windows XP. This is a non-essential service that often goes unused, but chews up processing power and RAM. Some of you may already have it disabled, there is only one way to find out.
Important Points to Take From This Lesson:
- Windows has many services running in the background
- Some services are essential, others are not.
- The Indexing Service is a non-essential service but…
- If you frequently use windows search, don’t disable it
- Uninstalling the service is better than disabling it to ensure it doesn’t get re-enabled.